Does Bleach Kill Mold?
We've all been there.......as a homeowner or business owner, we spot something that needs to be fixed, and the first thing that comes to mind is doing it ourselves. We want to save money, and join the latest DIY phase. But sometimes DIY is the worse thing we can do. Lack of training and knowledge can lead to further damage, or recurring damage.
In the case of mold, the first thing that most people think of is to use Bleach. And to an untrained professional, that can seem like the most reasonable action to take.
But here are three reasons why Bleach is not the most effective choice to rid your home of mold:
BLEACH LOSES ITS EFFECTIVENESS OVER TIME.
Chlorine bleach rapidly looses its effectiveness. If you leave a glass of chlorinated water out on the counter for a few days, the chlorine will evaporate. This happens within the container as well. This evaporation process indicates that it will be hard to ascertain the true potency of your chlorine bleach solution, as the chlorine can escape through plastic. It may have been sitting at the store, or in your home for some time, diminishing the ability to perform.
BLEACH DOES NOT KILL MOLD ON POROUS SURFACES, AND CAN ACTUALLY CONTRIBUTE TO MOLD GROWTH.
Chlorine bleach can only kill surface mold. Because mold can grow deep roots within porous surfaces such as wood and drywall, bleach will not assist you in exterminating mold. The chlorine cannot penetrate to destroy the growth at its roots; it remains on the surface while the water component of the bleach reaches further, which can feed the mold growth.
BLEACH IS TOXIC.
Chlorine bleach produces fumes that pollute the air and can become harmful to humans and pets. Chlorine bleach also generates a by-product called dioxin, which is linked to cancer. Use over time builds up these pollutants in the environment.
If you notice mold growth in your home or business, call SERVPRO of Vicksburg & Yazoo (601)634-0909 and let our team of trained technicians take care of your problem.