Be Prepared For Thunderstorms! Know the difference!!
Thunderstorms can happen nearly anywhere around the world and have the potential to be extremely dangerous. The typical thunderstorm is 15 miles in diameter and lasts an average of 30 minutes; nearly 1,800 thunderstorms are happening at any moment around the world! Although thunderstorms can occur year-round they are more common during the spring and summer months.
WATCH VS. WARNING
- A watch is issued when conditions are favorable for the development of severe thunderstorms in and around the watch area. It does not mean that a thunderstorm will occur, only that it is possible.
- A warning is issued when severe thunderstorms are occurring or imminent in the warning area.
- Build an emergency kit and make a family communication plan.
- Keep dead or rotting limbs trimmed to prevent them from falling during a storm.
- Do not hesitate to postpone outdoor activities.
- Secure outdoor objects that could blow away or cause damage.
- Shutter your windows and secure outside doors.
- Unplug any electronic equipment well before the storm arrives!
If your home or business is damaged from a storm call SERVPRO of Vicksburg & Yazoo 601-634-0909.